5 TIPS TO HELP YOU ACHIEVE YOUR NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTIONS
2016 is coming to a close and we have begun to think about how we can make 2017 even better as we prepare our New Year’s resolutions. If you are one of the many that don’t stick to your resolutions, let us offer you 5 tips as you prepare these goals so that you have a better chance of achieving them.
- Simply word your goals differently. Lets say that one of your goals is to lose 30 pounds. Sometimes by just wording your goals differently you can change your perception and mindset of your goal. So instead of saying, “I want to lose 30 pounds by summer.” Say, "I want to lose an average of 2 pounds per week in order to get ready for summer."
- Break your goals up into small, feasible tasks. You can take your initial goal of wanting to lose 30 pounds by summer and adding a couple of smaller, shorter-term goals along the way. This might help to change your perception of the journey so it is not so overwhelming. For instance, instead of just losing 30 pounds for the sake of summer, which is 6 months away, book yourself a photo shoot in March or maybe train for a triathlon in April.
- Pick a resolution that you are truly ready to tackle; this is one of the most important aspects of actually reaching your goal. Don’t proclaim that you want something to change in your life when you truly aren’t ready to put in the work. Resolutions should not be taken lightly. Do not set yourself up for failure with a resolution that you aren’t 100% passionate about.
- Keep yourself accountable. Measure your progress. So whether your goal was to lose those pesky 30 pounds or learn a new language, make sure you are hitting milestones along the way. Another way to keep yourself accountable is by letting others know what your New Year resolution is. Once you put it out there….there is no going back on your word. Another option is to find a friend or colleague who has a similar goal and create a buddy system to keep each other accountable.
- Learn to dust yourself off if you get off track. We have all encountered obstacles throughout our journeys; it’s not always going to be a straight and easy path to achieve our goals. The best thing that you can do if you get off track is to dust yourself off and get right back to it!