DISCOVER NEW POSSIBILITIES
I'm sure you have heard that "life begins at the end of your comfort zone," but are you still too comfortable to step outside of yours? Being comfortable is a great thing, but what if this routine that you're in is preventing you from something bigger...something better...something more exciting? In order to discover these possibilities, you have to try new things.
Many of us have made New Year resolutions to challenge ourselves to become healthier, smarter, maybe even to become more social. Well, what do all of these things have in common? They all force us to step outside of our comfort zone. Trying new things can be scary, but there are plenty of ways to help make this process more comfortable; here are some examples:
- Create a buddy system: Invite a friend to do this "scary new thing" with you; it’s always easier when you have the support system around.
- Just do it: Schedule yourself a day/days out of the week that you are going to dedicate to doing this “thing” of stepping outside your comfort zone. Once you’ve committed to this new activity and quite possibly paid for it in advance, there is no turning back.
- Announce it to the world: Sometimes simply telling your friends and family that you are taking on this new endeavor might force you to uphold it more-so than keeping it to yourself.
- Set small attainable goals: Don't overwhelm yourself by biting off more than you can chew; break your main goal into smaller goals or milestones that you can accomplish along your way.
- Don’t be afraid: What do you have to lose? It takes courage to try something new. You aren’t going to be an expert at something right off the bat, so learn to check your ego at the door and just have fun!